Sunday, February 19, 2012

Story of a Hooligan Cake

A while back, I had all my grandkids spending the night.  Of course they wanted a story.  Usually Cally and Sheldon are the only ones getting a story and they always request "Bramble & Brownie", their alter egos.  With the 3 older kids in the room I quickly made up a couple of stories starring the "Hooligans".  In brief~ the Hooligan's like to trick people into doing things that are for their own good.  So they each have their own horse (I'll spare you the names and descriptions here), they each have their own name and talent.

This story was about going to a town where the only food anyone ever ate were hamburgers and soda pop.  So the Hooligans opened their own 'burger joint' but they made healthier food and shaped them into the shape of hamburgers with fruit and vegetable juice for the soda. 

They loved the story and have requested it many times.  Hence this is one of the made up off the top of my head stories I remember a little bit better than some others.

So now it is Sheldon's 4th birthday.  In my blog hopping, I saw a cake made into the shape of a big hamburger!  It was so cool!  So.... guess what I did? It had to be a Hooligan Hamburger cake!
I used these two combined for the bun.  Didn't know exactly how I was going to make it but here's where I started.


I divided the batter between a rounded pyrex bowl for the top and a springform layer for the bottom.
I used this one for the 'meat' in the middle layer.




So far so good...
Then I used these to try to make 'bun' colored frosting.
It didn't please my eye until I added this:)

Looks good with the crumb coating!  Yes!!
I've never made fondant.  So I mixed a package of cream cheese with enough powdered sugar and cornstarch and food coloring to make an American cheese colored fondant.  It was tricky and sticky but I finally got it to work:

Oh yeah.  On the middle layer, I used chocolate frosting and put chocolate sprinkles on it to make it look like 'meat'.  (I'm such a Hooligan!)

Along the way I made a big fat Dodo mess:





For ketchup I made a powdered sugar, butter, milk frosting and added lots of red and yellow food coloring as well as a big spoonful of strawberry freezer jam.  It was yummish.
I ran some of the yellow fondant thru a screen and it made the sprinkles on top which represent sesame seeds.  I didn't know what to do for lettuce...so finally I took some of the leftover 'cheese' fondant and added blue and green food coloring till it looked 'lettucey' enough.  It looks like playdough to me but you will see the grand effect right HERE:
Best of all was this response:

 
It was a splendid party, truly fit for Hooligans of all ages.



 




3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, now you will have to make cakes like Bramble and Brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! what an amazing cake and an even more amazing grandma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes we loved it sooo much. Thank you so much for the yummy hooligan hamburger cake.
    You are an amazing Dodo, you hooligan ;)

    i can't even finish my slice. it was huge -jaycee

    YUMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- Cally

    ReplyDelete